Private landowners in the active floodplain of the Lower Mississippi River, or batture, can apply for a Wetland Reserve Easement under the project. You may be eligible:
- If you enroll land between the Mississippi River and the primary levee or bluff.
- If you own the land you wish to enroll.
- If you agree to restore your land to bottomland hardwoods.
- If you are willing to sign up your land for a 30-year or perpetual easement.
Landowners in the batture portions of Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri and Tennessee may participate in the project if
- they meet ownership requirements
- they agree to stop farming offered lands
- they agree to manage the land for wildlife and recreation uses
- they agree to certain limitations on uses of the land offered, such as a prohibition on permanent structures